Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Transcontinental


I am officially going to Guatemala in a week and a half! I get to spend some time with some precious little childrens who live in a children's home and help them complete various tasks around the infrastructure that need to be completed. It is going to be one of the highlights of my summer so far! The children who live there (La Senda) are court-appointed children who come from either abusive or neglectful homes, or no homes at all, as I understand it. I believe currently their ages range from seven to seventeen years old. We are bringing toys and clothes to the young ones and
other various objects in attempt brighten their little lives.. and will be teaching some lessons and playing games with the young ones.

above is a picture from a previous trip that I have stolen of a boy that lives there named Gerson.

After spending a few days at La Senda, we will visit the beautiful city of Antigua where we will shop and eat for a while and check out the gorgeous Jade jewelry that is available for a good price. I love Jade jewelry so this is one (lesser) thing I am looking forward to doing while in Guatemala.

I can't wait to see their little faces. I have a list of their names and have imagined what they are like....

In other news, I am finally moving out again. My friend Erin and I found a townhouse and we promptly fell in love with it's little fenced-in mini-backyard and fireplace den. We move in on the 28th of June and are looking forward to having our first house warming party! It is going to be an extremely beneficial move for me since I will be closer to not only school and everything else I visit on a regular basis but also right down the road from the interstate so I can get to the city for bellydance class and such.

By The Way..... bellydance class at the little 5 studio has been entirely amazing so far. The perimeter studio was great, but there is something about this little studio, and that something is probably Dujana!! One of the best teachers I have seen thus far. My friends and I adore her and her day-brightening personality.

Many have given strange looks when they hear the word 'bellydance', and it's no wonder because it has, over the years, been thoroughly skankified by hollywood and it's popular image. It happens that it actually originated as a folk dance which would prepare the body's core muscles for child birthing (they didn't have the super pain-killers we have today), and was also used as a form of entertainment; but nothing really like the 'harem-sluts' that we see in movies.

It has been one of the most confidence-boosting, muscle-bending and fun experiences I have had lately. Plus it is fun to skate over to one of the bars or restaurants in the area after class is finished and celebrate.

until next tea time

No comments: